Best Yamaha Portable Keyboards for BeginnersUpdated on: May 12, 2019
A wise person once said that every home should have at least one keyboard. Indeed, when you sing, soul sings. As you know, the best way to sing is via musical instruments. The keyboard is one of the key instruments that can fit any style of music.
With the sheer number of options available, you are likely to get stuck while shopping for a keyboard for beginners, especially if you have not done it before. The fact that the design of keyboards has evolved a lot, thus making it even harder to find the right model. But now that you have this guide, you don’t have to worry anymore. Whether you are a music student interested in learning this instrument, or you are an aspiring pianist or just a hobbyist interested in fun, this guide will help you buy an instrument that fits your needs. It will cover the best Yamaha Portable Keyboards for beginners, their features, how to choose them, and why you need to invest in one over the other.
It is now time to look at the amazing portable keyboards for beginners that we have selected for you.
So Which Are the Best Yamaha Portable Keyboards for Beginners?
1. Yamaha PSR-F51 61 Portable Keyboard
This is a great keyboard that proved that 61 keys can help you become a better pianist. Besides being portable, it is also lightweight. With 32 musical sounds and a Survival Kit A2, the PSR-F51 is an excellent starter keyboard. It also comes with an accessories kit to help you start playing right away. The auto power feature makes it possible to shut itself down after a period of inactivity.
Being a battery powered model, you can carry it with you anywhere. All you need is six AA batteries, which can serve you for up to 5 hours. On top of this, it is also a stylish keyboard with duo mode splits that separate the keyboard into two equal halves. This makes it possible to practice with a partner. Survival Kit is an essential add-on that Yamaha incorporated into this keyboard to improve the overall experience. It has headphones and a power adapter.
Perhaps what makes this keyboard to stand out is because it is relatively inexpensive, thus becoming the first choice for many beginners. It is an entry-level portable keyboard from Yamaha with an easy to navigate menu and interfaces not to mention the trial educational suite that is packaged with this product.
2. Yamaha YPT260
YPT260 is another entry-level keyboard from Yamaha. It is an upgrade to the widely popular YPT 255 with added capabilities and features and capabilities. This model is also compact and beginner-friend just like its predecessor. So, you can consider it as a worthy upgrade if you are already familiar with YPT 255.
It is sophisticated enough to excite both novice and intermediate players with a variety of expressions, musical choices, and experiences. With built-in education suite, a complete armature can start using this keyboard with or without assistance. This feature also makes piano leaning a fast and fun process. It also has more advanced digital piano features that support more sophisticated musical compositions and sounds.
On top of being lightweight and portable, it can also be powered by batteries, making it an ideal keyboard for outdoor play. It comes with a power adapter, music stand, and a downloadable songbook. It also has quite a number of musical capabilities and advanced features.
This keyboard is most suitable for beginners with no prior experience. It is also a great device for piano instructors, who can use the built-in learning suite and duo mode to enhance lessons. Despite being an entry-level keyboard, it comes with a wide selection of sounds and backing tracks. It also has the ability to adjust the transpose chords and eq, so it can still become useful as you progress as a musician.
3. Yamaha PSR-E263 KIT
Yamaha PSR-E263 features a wide 61-key range, which can support two players. It comes with an expanded voicing section that can accommodate over 400 sounds like brass, orchestral, drums, and woodwind. This model also comes with an education suite that provides an exceptional resource to help new learners improve their skills.
One of its unique features is the ability to add musical effects while playing. To get a feeling of the level of quality that this model is known for, just mix in a dash of reverb and you will notice the quality of the output.
Another cool feature of Yamaha PSR-E263 is its ability to connect to an external sound source such as an iPod, so you can practice along with your favorite music. Plus, there are several great online resources that offer free backing tracks, so you will not lack something enjoyable to practice with.
In addition to the above, the models feature a compact and portable design. It can also be powered by batteries.
4. Yamaha EZ-200
Yamaha EZ-200 is an excellent beginner keyboard suitable for learners who prefer leaning with visual aids. The light-up feature can help young learners to develop a close attachment with the keyboard layout.
The model also comes with a built-in educational suit and cord library. It is also lightweight and portable. What different it with other portable keyboard models is that it is compatible with Yamaha’s XGlite and MIDI. The lighted keys assist you on which notes to play.
The three preset velocity settings are very useful for adjusting touch-sensitivity. You can even turn off if you prefer a completely uniform volume-level. Yamaha EZ-200 comes with a multitude of sound effects, instruments, and built-in drum kits, which adds to a total of 375voices. One of its impressive voices is the Portable Grand™, a stereo-sampled grandpiano tone that is quite sensitive and can easily be activated with its own button.
The Yamaha EZ-200 keyboard is ideal for simple practice sessions. But if you want to fill a larger room, you can use an external amplifier to boost the two built-in 2.5W speakers. The only drawback of this model is that it doesn’t come with sustain pedal and sometimes the power supply may not be included. But you can always purchase most of these accessories separately. If money is not a hindrance and you want a high-end portable keyboard, check out this model.
5. Yamaha YPT360
If you are looking for a touch-sensitive keyboard, then Yamaha YPT360 keyboard offers touch-sensitive keys and a wide range of voices and features, making it a great option for beginners. It also includes a wide selection of educational features that will benefit any beginner.
Yamaha YPT360 is the upgraded version of the YPT 340 with additional features, more styles and ability to connect to external sources. It is great for practicing and composing songs. You can choose to practice with preset songs using one of the lesion functions, which include Listening, Timing, Keys to Success, Phrase Repeat and Waiting. Basically, the touch-sensitive keyboard will reflect all the nuance of your playing.
Keys to Success is based on teaching techniques that span over several years. To help perfect your skills, utilize the new Touch Tutor to simplify the dynamic expression. This is a great keyboard for anyone who is just starting out.
How to Choose a Keyboard for Beginners?
Mastering keyboards require putting in some effort so as to get the best out of it. This means that you have to practice a lot with it. So you need an instrument that is beginner-friendly, the one you can take anywhere and is easy to play. Also, be sure to consider your actual situation and check reviews before buying this product
While shopping for a portable keyboard, keep in mind a few things such as your budget, the person who will use the keyboard, your preference, and any special features you may want from a keyboard. If you are buying the keyboard for your kid, ensure that he or she is serious about playing this musical instrument; otherwise, consider buying a cheaper model, then upgrade later. In fact, there is a wide range of cheaper models that are fun for young children. Anytime to visit a local music store or search for a portable keyboard online, please take into account the following factors.
- Keys: Beginner keyboards may have a different number of keys and usually range from 61 – 76 keys. There are also some high-end models with 88 keys, but be ready to chuck some few extra bucks.
- Sounds: Sounds defines the quality of a keyboard, so an ideal keyboard is the one that gives you more sounds. Thankfully, Yamaha has quite a number of quality keyboards with varying sounds.
- Price: Needless to say, price is an important consideration is nearly all purchases. Keyboard shopping is no different. You need a product that is reasonably priced, especially if you are buying a keyboard for beginners.
- Learning Programs: Students usually working with a keyboard that has learning programs. This way, they will learn a few tricks while practicing on their own. And the good thing is that these built-in lessons will not cost you anything. Learning programs will not make or break any deal, but they will definitely help you increase the learning pace.
- Power Supply: Last but not least, you have to consider the type of power supply that your keyboard requires. Some portable models can use batteries while others will come with a power supply.
Why Choose a Yamaha Keyboard?
Ask any seasoned musician or pianist to tell you about the best keyboards brand, chances are that he or she will mention Yamaha. For decades, Yamaha has been associated with quality musical instruments.
Actually, Yamaha is one of the most respected brands. The company has been making revolutionary keyboards since 1987. Yamaha Portable Keyboards are great for kids as it is for adults. Most Yamaha models come with quite a number of pre-set sounds and learning features that make them more compelling. Newer models are even more exciting.
Typically, Yamaha keyboards are high-quality, but usually the bigger the investment the better the keyboard. With that said, there is no need to splash extra cash on a model that has features that you will rarely use.
There are many reasons you may want to invest in a Yamaha brand, but here are the major ones:
- Competitive Check: As mentioned above, Yamaha make quality devices, but it is not the only manufacturer that makes quality keyboards. So there as to be other competitive advantages that make a customer choose one brand over the other. And this is where Yamaha has excelled. It has incorporated several enticing features into its packages such as sound quality, price, style, product range, and so on. If you are looking for a top-of-the-range portable keyboard Yamaha has it. You should expect a combination of look, value, and quality from Yamaha premium products. So if style is important to you, Yamaha high-end models will, therefore, appeal to your senses.
- Variety of Choices: Yamaha is among the few musical instruments manufacturers that have a huge collection of keyboards. Most of its keyboard comes with robust construction, unique features, stylish design, and superb sound. These factors contribute immensely to their popularity and consequently the brand value. If you are used to classical music and great sounds, you will be amazed by Yamaha keyboards. They are among the select few with best orchestra sounds.
- Robust Build: Generally, Yamaha manufactures long-lasting and well-fitted keyboards. One of the considerations that we take into account while coming with our list is quality of construction. A majority of Yamaha portable keyboards for beginners have a robust construction with better sound projections, handling, and overall design.
- Extra Features: Besides the above reasons, you may also want to invest in a Yamaha portable keyboards because they come with additional features. Besides the obvious features, you will not miss out on some surprises that will not excite you but also enhance the playing experience.
- Stable Performance: Sound quality and key action are some of the features that differential Yamaha keyboards from other brands. These are key in determining the overall performance of a keyboard. Therefore, their superiority guarantees an enjoyable playing experience. So, when shopping for a portable keyboard put more emphasis on these aspects. Fortunately, with Yamaha, you can easily find a quality keyboard with outstanding key functionality.
Are Keyboards Good for Kids?
As a parent, you will want the best for your child. If he or she has shown interest in music and instrument playing, then you need to facilitate the best learning experience. Look at it this way. If you want your child to excel as a soccer player, would you send him or her to the field with a pair of cheap flip-flops, or would you ensure that the child has a good pair of soccer shoes? Chances are that you will buy your child the right soccer shoes. So, you should also get your child a good beginner keyboard. The keyboard will teach kids the basics of musical theory.
If you understand what to look for in a portable keyboard, you can easily find a beginner’s keyboard fits your needs. The process becomes even simpler when the choices are narrowed down to Yamaha models. Even if you aren’t sure if music or keyboard playing is your hobby, you will find a suitable keyboard model among Yamaha stable.
Hopefully, this guide on how to buy the best Yamaha portable keyboards for beginners helped you to find the right keyboard. To be frank, all these portable keyboards are great beginner instruments that can help you improve your music practice. If you still feel there are few questions that remained unanswered after reading this guide, please share them in the comments section.